The Food and Nutrition and Design and Technology areas at Finham Park 2 are vibrant, exciting and innovative areas of the curriculum.
We have two incredible specialist teaching rooms, designed with the latest tools and equipment to help facilitate an inspirational and challenging learning experiences.
- G05 is a D&T workshop equipped for Product Design, Graphics, Electronics and Textiles. We believe in students developing hand craft skills as well as the 21st Century use of CAD/CAM equipment.
- G04 is our Food Preparation and Nutrition room which has 20 cooking stations for pupils to work independently as well as offer the use of technology to make learning accessible for all. We have all the essential kitchen tools as well as sous vide, dehydrators, blast chiller and all the necessary pans and moulds to cook up some wonderful creations.
Year 7 and 8
During Year 7 and 8 all students have a lesson of Product Design and a lesson of Food Preparation and Nutrition a fortnight all year. This allows all students the opportunity to study the subject areas and make progress over the year. Lessons will include practical work in both areas, as well as written knowledge and design work. Homework is fortnightly and covers creative tasks as well as theory research and questions. All homework is recorded on our Frog learning platform.
In Design and Technology Years 7 and 8 all students will take part in mini projects and focused practical tasks.
- Health and Safety Passport
- Architecture (modelling in card and using 3D CAD/CAM)
- Trinket box – combining and developing basic practical skills
- Graphics branding and promotion using Adobe Photoshop
- Biomimicry inspired Passive Speaker project (Hand tools and CAD/CAM with the laser cutter)
- Vacuum formed blister pack packaging
- Electronic circuits/products
In Food Preparation and Nutrition Years 7 and 8 will complete a range of recipes and cover theory on Food science and nutrition.
Recipes include: (but not limited to)
- Roasted Halloumi and Mediterranean cous cous
- Sundried tomato and olive focaccia
- Curry in a hurry
- Tart au chocolate
- Ragu and meatballs
- Chocolate mousse
- Tandoori chicken
- Fresh pasta
- Mac n Cheese
- Pastel de nata
Theory elements include
- Healthy eating
- Adapting recipes
- Enzymic and non enzymic browning
- Heat transfer
- The science behind raising agents
- Gluten formation
- Coagulation of proteins
- GCSE Design & Technology (Product Design)
- Cambridge National L2 Engineering Design
- GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
Enrichment and OOSHL
The department offers Cooking club and Grub Club in GO4 as we as CAD/CAM-3D printing club, Graphic Design club, Jewellery Making Club and JLR competition.
Meet the Team
Subject Leader and Teacher of Food Preparation and Nutrition: Mr A Hartshorn
D&T and Engineering teacher: Mrs L Allton (Assistant Headteacher)
D&T and Engineering teacher: Ms L Trout
D&T and Engineering teacher: Ms S Asghar
D&T technician: Mr J Owen