The Design and Technology Department at Finham Park 2 is a vibrant, exciting and innovative area of the curriculum.
We have two specialist teaching rooms, designed with the latest tools and equipment to help facilitate an inspirational and challenging learning experiences.
- G05 is a D&T workshop equipped for Product Design, Graphics, Electronics and Textiles. We believe in students developing hand craft skills as well as the 21st Century use of CAD/CAM equipment.
- G04 is our Food Preparation and Nutrition room which has 20 cooking stations for pupils to work independently as well as offer the use of technology to make learning accessible for all.
Year 7 and 8
During Year 7 and 8 all students have a lesson of Product Design and a lesson of Food Preparation and Nutrition a fortnight all year. This allows all students the opportunity to study the subject areas and make progress over the year. Lessons will include practical work in both areas, as well as written knowledge and design work. Homework is fortnightly and covers creative tasks as well as theory research and questions. All homework is recorded on our Frog learning platform.
In Years 7 and 8 all students will take part in mini projects and focused practical tasks.
- Health and Safety Passport
- Architecture (modelling in card and using 3D CAD/CAM)
- Trinket box – combining and developing basic practical skills
- Graphics branding and promotion using Adobe Photoshop
- Biomimicry inspired Passive Speaker project (Hand tools and CAD/CAM with the laser cutter)
- Vacuum formed blister pack packaging
- Electronic circuits/products
- GCSE D&T (Product Design)
- BTEC Engineering
- GCSE Food Preparation and Nutrition
Enrichment and OOSHL
The department offers Cooking club and Grub Club in GO4 as we as CAD/CAM-3D printing club, Graphic Design club, Jewellery Making Club and JLR competition.
Meet the Team
Subject Leader: Mrs L Allton (Assistant Headteacher)
D&T and Engineering teacher: Mr S Bown
Food Preparation and Nutrition teacher: Mr A Hartshorn (College Leader)
D&T technician: Mr J Owen